Skip to main content

For incoming employees

The University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice is the biggest higher education institution in the region. It offers a wide range of study and research opportunities. We believe that working at our university will be an enriching experience.

Because we know that setting up in a new city and a new environment may be challenging, we have designed this guide for you to support you before and during your stay at USB.

Before your arrival: Entry conditions/visas

Entry conditions for a stay in the Czech Republic depend upon your nationality, the purpose of your stay and the duration of your stay. All entry formalities are detailed on the Official Web Portal for foreigners, who are living, or wish to live, in the Czech Republic or on the website of Euraxess - Researchers in motion, Czech Republic.

European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland citizens:

You do not need any visa or special permit to travel, live, and work in the Czech Republic. You only need a valid passport or national ID card.

Third-country nationals:

Obtaining a visa or residence permit is one of the most important steps of the preparation of your stay in the Czech Republic. You will have to go to the local Czech embassy or consulate abroad and submit your visa/residence permit application. These applications cannot be submitted being inside the Czech Republic.

  • Short-term stay – Up to 90 days:

You will require a short-term Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days.  This visa authorises you to stay in the Czech Republic (and all other  Schengen States) for the period of time specified in the visa, however not for more than three months during any half-year from the date on which you first enter a Schengen country.

  • Long-term stay - Longer than 90 days:


If you are employed at USB to carry out scientific or academic research, you need to apply for a long-term residence permit for the purpose of scientific research (also called “scientific permit”). This special residence permit for researchers has several advantages: the application is processed faster than other visas, within 60 days. Also, as a holder of a scientific permit, you will not need any extra work permit.

During the application, you will need to submit several documents. USB, as an employer, can provide you with the “hosting agreement” and the “written commitment”.

Another advantage of this specific scientific permit, is that you do not need to provide a proof of accommodation during the application. Anyway, it is highly recommended to arrange your accommodation and get the accommodation contract well in advance. The proof of accommodation will be requested during the collection of the residence permit after your arrival. USB can also provide you with an accommodation contract at USB dormitories.

Once your application has been approved, you will receive a visa for the purpose of collecting a residence permit (D/VR visa). This visa allows you to enter the Czech Republic, it is issued for a maximum of 60 days.  After entering the Czech Republic, it is necessary to report to an office of the Ministry of the Interior within 30 calendar days. See section “First steps after arrival”.

Submission of the application for long-term residence permit or its prolongation is charged with administrative fees, generally 2500 CZK. See the list of fees on the Official Web Portal for foreigners, who are living, or wish to live, in the Czech Republic.

Before your arrival: Health insurance

This section is currectly being updated.

Before your arrival: Accommodation

This section is currectly being updated.

First steps after arrival

This section is currectly being updated.

About USB

This section is currectly being updated.

Settling in the Czech Republic

This section is currectly being updated.

to our newsletter

Stay in touch
social media

© 2021 University of South Bohemia

Dear visitors, we have just launched the new website of the University including all faculties, departments and constituent parts. You can still access the old version before you get used to the new website.