• Home
  • Study at USB
  • About studies

About studies

Organisation of studies

Academic calendar

The academic year is divided into two semesters, winter and summer semester.

Winter semester - generally:

Teaching period:       late September – mid-December
Examination period:  January – mid-February

Spring semester - generally:

Teaching period:       mid-February – late May
Examination period:  late May – late June


Academic year 2021/ 2022

Winter semester structure

From To
Orientation Week  22 September 2021  24 September 2021
Winter teaching period  29 September 2021  8 January 2022
Winter/Christmas vacation  20 December 2021  2 January 2022
Winter exam period  10 January 2022  11 February 2022


Summer semester structure From To
Orientation Week  7 February 2022  11 February 2022
Summer teaching period  14 February 2022  21 May 2022
Summer exam period  23 May 2022  1 July 2022


Public holidays in the Czech Republic:

 1 January   New Year's Day
 Easter Friday, Sunday and Monday  usually in April
 1 May     May Day
 8 May    Liberation from Fascism
 5 July      Cyril and Methodius
 6 July         Burning at Stake of Jan Hus
 28 September      Czech Statehood Day
 28 October      Establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic
 17 November    Freedom and Democracy Day
 24–26 December   Christmas holidays
Grading system

Find detailed description in the Study and examination code USB 

Assessment of Studies:

1. The basic forms of the study assessment are:

  • zápočet = course credit (without examination)
  • zkouška = an examination
  • kolokvium = a colloquium
  • souborná postupová zkouška = comprehensive advancemnet examination
  • státní zkouška = state final examination

2. During the course of a semester, the teacher can evaluate the students´ performance by:

  • progress monitoring questions
  • written tests
  • individual assignments
  • semestral assignment
  • compulsory attendance at lectures

      In compliance with the course syllabus, the results of the above mentioned forms of teacher´s evaluation can be appropriately incorporated into the overall assessment of the student's performance in the course.

3. Assessment outcomes are recorded in the USB on-line study agenda IS STAG. At the same time, records of study performance can be kept in the printed Study Record Book, (“index” = a document recording registered courses and assessment outcomes) or in a file of examination and course credit catalogues or enrolment forms. 

4. Based on the IS STAG documentation, the International Office (Exchange students) or the Study Department (degree students) of the corresponding faculty carry out administration related to the admission procedure of applicants, their enrolment, studies and the proper completion of study.

The examination marks correspond with the ECTS credit system:

Grade Examination University of South Bohemia examination ("zkouška")

University of South Bohemia ("zápočet")

course credit (without examination)

A 1 1 = výborně (excellent)

R ("započteno") = course credit achieved

B 1,5 1,5 = výborně mínus (excellent minus)

R ("započteno") = course credit achieved

C 2 2 = velmi dobře (very well)

R ("započteno") = course credit achieved

D 2,5 2,5 = velmi dobře mínus (satisfactory)

R ("započteno") = course credit achieved

E 3 3 = dobře (passed)

R ("započteno") = course credit achieved

F, FX 4 4 = nedostatečně (failed) ("nezapočteno") = course credit not achieved

The examination result of a student enrolled in a Doctoral degree programme is evaluated by the examiner using the mark “passed” (“prospěl”) or “failed” (“neprospěl”).

  1. Examination period
  • The examinations and resit examinations usually take place during the examination period specified in the schedule of the relevant academic year.
  • The examiner determines and announces a sufficient number of examination dates for individual subjects no later than three weeks before the end of the teaching period in the semester.
  • The students sign up for the examinations by means of the IS STAG.
  • In case of individual study plan, the dates of examinations can be announced by the teacher during the whole semester.
  1. Basic examination rules
  • A student who cancelled in time shall be treated as if he/she never signed up for the examination.
  • Students are entitled to cancel no later than 24 hours before the examination is to take place. Provided that a student withdraws from the examination after its beginning, fails to attend the examination without a due excuse or violates the examination rules to a serious extent, he/she shall be marked as “failed” (“nevyhověl”)
  • A student can make an additional excuse for serious reasons, especially health ones, however no later than by the fifth day from the date set for the examination.
  • Given that the student has failed in the examination, he/she is entitled to a first resit examination. Should he/she fail in the first resit examination as well, he/she is entitled to take a second resit examination within the provided dates.

Completion of degree studies

The students shall obtain a University Diploma for a successful completion of the degree programme along with the certificate of all completed subjects in a form of the Diploma Supplement in Czech and English pursuant to the ECTS standard.

Diploma Supplement

The University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice provides all graduates with a Diploma Supplement free of charge and automatically since 2005. This Diploma Supplement follows the model developed by the European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO/CEEPES. It is published in two languages – Czech and English.

The Diploma Supplement contains the status of successfully completed studies, the list of courses evaluated according to the ECTS and the number of credits awarded for each course. The Supplement includes also the information on the courses completed abroad, bachelor’s or master’s theses, defence of the theses, final state examinations, and the overall evaluation of study results. The Diploma Supplement provides a brief description of Czech Higher Educational System.

Practical information

Instructions for arrival to the Czech Republic during Covid-19 pandemic

The following rules apply for all persons who have stayed abroad outside Czech Republic for more than 12 hours and are now entering Czech territory.

Any USB student or employee who have been abroad in a medium, high, very high or extreme risk country for more than 12 hours and is going back to USB should inform its study department / superior and must respect all legal obligations.


In any case, it is compulsory to fill-in the Public Health Passenger Locator Form before arrival (www.prijezdovyformular.cz). In many cases also, you will have to submit one or several negative PCR tests to Covid-19 undergone before the start of the journey and/or after the arrival. Exception from testing applies to vaccinated persons (recognized vaccination only) and persons who had Covid-19 in the last 180 days.  

Follow carefully the instructions depending on what country you are travelling from on the website of the Ministry of Interior 

The conditions differ according to the personal situation of the person:

Part A: Concerns Czech citizens, foreigners with Czech residence permit, Citizens of EU+ and foreigners with residence permit issued by EU+.

Part B: Concerns non EU citizens without residence permit issued by the Czech Republic or by EU+ country, non EU citizens who have a short-term visa issued before 11th May 2020 or short-term or long-term visa issued by another EU+ country.

Due to the emergence of a new coronavirus variant, the Government of the Czech Republic decided on a crisis measure with effect from 27th November 2021 by which Czech citizens and foreigners residing in the Czech Republic are strongly not recommended to travel to Republic of South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia, Mozambique. The measure also prohibits the entry of all third-country nationals who have stayed for more than 12 hours in the last 14 days in the territory of one of the above-mentioned countries. The exception is given only to holders of a valid residence permit over 90 days in the territory of the Czech Republic issued by the Czech Republic. The conditions for their entry are listed in this official leaflet.



Information about USB dormitories: http://kam.jcu.cz/cs/ (webpages mostly in Czech – you can use automatic google translate)

For accommodation at USB dormitories, follow the Decisions of the Director of KaM JU.

When arriving from abroad, you must fulfill the conditions for entry into the Czech Republic (see above). 

In case you are obliged to enter self isolation after arrival to the Czech Republic, you cannot be in your usual room at dormitories. You must arrange in advance a special room for self isolation. Contact Mrs Dvořáková, the Head of Dormitories at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., and indicate your exact date of arrival, indicate also from which country you are arriving and for how long you need the self isolation. 



Please follow the instructions given by the university.

Currently the studies are running on-site (in classrooms). In case the Czech authorities would not allow the on-site learning, the studies would switch to online/distance learning. You should always be prepared for both form of studies (distance – online and on-site)

It is needed to have your own IT equipment (notebook) in order to be able to follow classes online. Most of teachers are using MS Teams, Moodle, Zoom.

HEALTH INSURANCE – Declaration of honour

Each student has the responsibility to arrange his/her own insurance for medical purposes and in case of medical repatriation need.

See down in Health insurance.

Before leaving home, please check that you have valid insurance.

  • Students from EU countries: It is necessary to have a European Health Insurance Card, that entitles you to the provision of necessary and urgent health care free-of-charge. It is highly recommended to have a supplementary travel health insurance, especially in case you would need a medical repatriation.
  • Students with visa obligation: according to visa requirements, you need to purchase a comprehensive health insurance coverage.

Declaration of honour

Before your first arrival to the Czech Republic, please fill-in and sign the Declaration of honour , confirming that you are insured, including Covid-19 risks, during your stay at USB. Send the scanned copy of the Declaration of honour to your Study department, and bring the original document with you. It may be requested on the first days after your arrival.


ESN USB Budweis is a student organisation that helps international students. They are prepared to welcome you and help you enjoy your stay at USB.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/esnusb/

Instagram profile: https://www.instagram.com/esnusb/

You can also contact them by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and visit their webpage www.esnusb.cz

BUDDIES: A buddy is a local student who helps the international student with arrival and integration in the life of the University of South Bohemia. You can request a buddy by filling-in this form.

Please be aware that depending on epidemiological situation the buddies may not be able to pick you up in person at the train/bus station. Anyway they can keep in touch with you by phone, whatsapp, messenger to support you during your arrival.

ESN USB Budweis and Rectorate International Office operate Whatsapp communication group for international students, if you are interested to join it, contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Immigration & visa information

This website has been designed for foreign nationals and members of the professional community who are looking for information on migration and integration of foreign nationals in the Czech Republic. It will easily guide you to information on entry into and stay in the Czech Republic. Immigration Czech Republic
Moving to the European Union? Immigration EU

General visa information

Students from EU countries

Students from the EU (plus Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) are exempt from student visa requirements.

Students from countries outside the EU

Once you have been accepted for studies at the University of South Bohemia, you will have to turn to the local Czech Embassy or Consulate: the Czech Republic, like most other countries, requires foreign students studying in the country to have a student visa. Possession of a student visa is a condition for studying at the University of South Bohemia.

This means ploughing through a certain amount of paperwork, but in fact, the procedure described below sounds more complicated than it is in reality. The whole procedure for obtaining a student visa can take up to 60 days. Make sure that you ask for your visa early enough to receive it before your departure.

Regulations governing obtaining visas change from time to time. In addition, embassies in individual countries are given a certain leeway in applying them. This means that the regulations listed here should be considered as guidelines only. You should consult your local Czech Embassy/Consulate for the latest information regarding visa requirements, and the particular local requirements that are in force. Detailed information concerning the visa process is available, for example, at the website of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic.


1) Applications filed at a Czech Embassy/Consulate General

Students who would like to study in the Czech Republic have to file an application for a long-term visa/the long-term residence permit at a Czech Embassy/Consulate General abroad. These applications cannot be filed in the Czech Republic.

  • An application for a long-term residence permit for the purpose of "studies": if a student intends to stay temporarily in the Czech Republic for a period longer than 3 months and the student plans to stay for more than 6 months.
  • An application for a long-term visa for the purpose of "studies": if a student intends to stay temporarily in the Czech Republic for a period longer than 3 months and the student plans to stay for less than 6 months in total.


2) Applications filed in the Czech Republic

Applications filed in the Czech Republic apply only to students who already reside in the Czech Republic and plan on continuing their studies in the Czech Republic.

  • An application for a long-term residence permit for the purpose of "studies" (following a long-term visa granted in accordance with Section 30, or an application for its extension), can be filed by a foreign national in the Czech Republic if a student resides in the Czech Republic on the basis of a long-term visa granted in accordance with Section 30, and if a student intends to reside in the Czech Republic for a period longer than the validity of the current visa and a student intends to reside in the Czech Republic for the same purpose.


Additional useful information:

  • Where to file an application?

Applications for visas and residence permits for the purpose of studies may be filed at a Czech Embassy in the state of which the applicant is a citizen, or, if necessary, in the state that issued the travel document that the foreign national holds, or in the state in which the foreign national has a long-term or permanent residence permit.

An application for a long-term residence permit following a long-term visa for the same purpose, or an application to extend the current long-term residence permit is filed at MOI offices according to the applicant’s place of residence.

  • How to file an application and long-term residence permit/long-term visa fees?

According to Section 178 of the ARFN, a foreign national of more than 15 years of age who is able to express his/her own will and is capable of acting independently is considered legally competent.

The registration for filing an application for a long-term visa or an application for a long-term residence permit at the Czech Embassy is usually done by making an appointment (usually via email) at the Czech Embassy. Contact your Czech Embassy in order to learn about the local conditions.

Embassies charge CZK 500 for accepting an application for a residence permit for the purpose of studies (see consular fees). Foreign nationals pays other fees to the Ministry of Interior : http://www.mvcr.cz/mvcren/article/third-country-nationals-fees.aspx 

Foreign nationals are obliged to file applications for a long-term visa or long-term residence in person. In justified cases, embassies can waive this obligation.


More information at https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/czech-republic-visa/

Visa application procedure

Foreigners who are not citizens of the EU and who are studying or working in the Czech Republic are required to have a long-term residence visa or a long-term residence permit before arriving in the Czech Republic. Please note that it is necessary to be physically present in the country where you applied at the time the visa is issued in the passport.

The application procedure for obtaining a visa for study purposes can take up to 60 days from the day the VISA application is submitted to the local Czech Embassy. Please read the information below carefully and start your application procedure immediately after receiving documents from the University.

For the purpose of a visa application, the Faculty International Office Coordinator or the Faculty Study Department Officer can issue:

  • Letter of Acceptance (confirming that the applicant is going to be a student at the University for a certain period)
  • Student certificate (“Jednotné potvrzení o studiu”)
  • Proof of accommodation (“Doklad o zajištění ubytování” - confirming that the applicant has a place to stay during their stay in the Czech Republic. Students who  are not going to stay at our university dorms need to get the document from the landlord of the place where they are going to stay)

The last two documents are necessary for the VISA application.

It is important to contact the local Czech Embassy or Consulate for details concerning the Visa Application and read the instructions on filing the application properly. Different Czech Embassies may require different documents.

In general, the application form must be accompanied by:

  • Letter of Acceptance issued by the Czech university
  • Student certificate and Proof of accommodation (“Jednotné potvrzení o studiu” and “Doklad o zajištění ubytování”)
  • Statement confirming that the applicant has financial resources to cover their stay in the Czech Republic – i.e., confirmation of scholarship (if granted), or a bank statement: the minimum amount required is approx. 35 000 CZK (approx. 1 200 EUR) for each month of the stay in the country
  • Extract from the Register of Criminal Records verifying that the applicant has no criminal record
  • Valid international health insurance
  • 2 passport-sized photos (45mm x 35mm)
  • Valid passport

Please note that some documents need to be translated into the Czech language by a translator with an official stamp. Please contact your local Czech Embassy for more information.

If you are planning to travel within the Schengen area, make sure you apply for the correct type of visa that allows such travel.

Arrival to the Czech Republic

Before arrival in the Czech Republic There is a detailed description of the visa application formalities that you have to handle before your arrival in České Budějovice

After arrival in the Czech Republic:

1. Registration at the Ministry of the Interior and the Foreign Police

For the registration, bring the following:

  • national identity card/passport
  • visa
  • travel health insurance contract and a confirmation of its payment

to the address below (EU students may bring their national health insurance card).

Please, read about the travel medical insurance requirement on the website of the Ministry of Interior: http://www.mvcr.cz/mvcren/article/third-country-nationals-application-requirements-travel-medical-insurance-during-a-stay-longer-than-90-days.aspx

You might be asked to submit an insurance contract and a confirmation of payment before the visa sticker/stamp is added to your passport.

2. When to register:

  • EU students + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland - within 30 days after arrival in the Czech Republic
  • non-EU students within 3 working days after arrival in the Czech Republic


  • the registration will be made by dormitories on behalf of students (both EU and non-EU) staying in the dormitories of the University
  • it is compulsory to register for students staying in private accommodation


3. Where to register: 

A> FOREIGN POLICE ("Cizinecká policie") - students coming from EU countries (+ Norway, Lichtenstein, Iceland, Switzerland) and students with a long-term visa for the purpose of studies

FOREIGN POLICE ("Cizinecká policie")
Address:  Pražská 1257/23, České Budějovice – 3rd floor
Telephone: +420 974 221 829
Office hours: 
Monday and Wednesday:  8:00 – 17:00

B> MINISTRY OF THE INTERIORDepartment for Asylum and Migration Policy - Students with a long-term residence permit for the purpose of studies

MINISTRY OF THE INTERIOR, Department for Asylum and Migration Policy 
("Ministerstvo vnitra, odbor azylové a migrační politiky")
Address: Pražská 1257/23, České Budějovice – 1st floor
Telephone: +420 974 226 851
Office hours:
Monday and Wednesday:  8:00 – 17:00
Tuesday and Thursday:      8:00 – 12:00
Friday:                                Only for clients with an appointment

 4. Extending of your stay as well as your visa

If you want to extend your stay in the Czech Republic, you will have to apply for the long-term residence permit in České Budějovice (no earlier than 3 months before and no later than 14 days before the end of the validity of your visa) at the Regional Department for Asylum in Migration Policy (Ministry of the Interior) in České Budějovice (please see contact details above). Please note that you will have to pay a fee: http://www.mvcr.cz/mvcren/article/third-country-nationals-fees.aspx

List of Czech Embassies and General Consulates abroad

Health & insurance

Health insurance

EU students

Students from EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are entitled to necessary and urgent health care free of charge.

It is necessary to have a European Health Insurance Card.

It is highly recommended to have a supplementary travel health insurance. It should be arranged by the student before leaving the country of origin.

More information (for EU citizens). 

Non-EU students

Based on international agreements, medical travel insurance is not required from citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cuba, Japan, Macedonia, Montenegro, Turkey, Serbia, and the United States of America. The same exception applies to participants of the Erasmus Mundus programme, Fulbright scholarship programme, European Voluntary Service of the EC Youth in Action programme. Foreign nationals who wish to take advantage of these benefits should follow these instructions.

All other foreign students who intend to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days are required to purchase comprehensive health insurance coverage. You will be asked to submit a proof of the Czech health insurance when you apply for a visa. The coverage limit is EUR 60,000 at the lowest and the insurance must be purchased for the entire period of stay. The insurance must be contracted with a provider specifically certified to provide such insurance on the Czech territory. Consulting a Czech Embassy or consulate and checking that the insurance meets the requirements for an application for a visa or residence permit for stays longer than 90 days is recommended. From August 2021, you can purchase your insurance only at the company Pojišťovna VZP. The insurance can be easily purchased online.

The travel medical insurance must cover the cost of emergency medical care, including a medical evacuation or, in the event of death,  the repatriation of remains to the country that issued the applicant´s travel document or to the applicant´s country of residence. The insurance policy must not exclude coverage for injuries and damage caused by the applicant´s intentional acts, injuries and damage caused by a fault or a contributory fault on the part of the applicant, and injuries and damage caused by the consumption of alcohol, narcotic and psychotropic substances by the applicant

More information for non-EU citizens

Medical aid

Medical aid (emergency, pharmacy, doctors)

Your health insurance entitles you to visit any general practitioner or a dentist. If you have eye problems or any other specific problem, you should first visit a general practitioner, who will examine you and then, if necessary, arrange for you to see a specialist.
Unless it is urgent, we recommend calling in advance to make an appointment. Do not forget to take your insurance card, insurance number or any document proving that you have insurance.

Emergency cases

If you urgently need medical attention outside doctors' office hours, you can go to the Hospital of České Budějovice (Nemocnice České Budějovice, a.s.)

  •  Medical first aid service for adults

Located in the lower area of the hospital, Pavilion G,
access from Gen. Svobody Street.
Contact: +420 387 878 001
Office hours
Monday – Friday: 6:00 – 22:00
Saturday, Sunday: 9:00 – 21:00

  • Dental emergency

Located in the lower area of the hospital, Pavilion E,
access from Gen. Svobody Street.
Contact: +420 387 878 570
Office hours
Monday – Friday: 16:30 – 21:30
Saturday, Sunday: 8:00 – 18:00

In case you need assistance, contact your "buddy" from Erasmus Student Network USB Budweis.


There is a large number of pharmacies in České Budějovice, and the most common opening hours are 7:30 to 17:00, Monday to Friday. At the weekend, you may also find open pharmacies in shopping centres.

There is also a 24/7 pharmacy, located at the entrance of the hospital of České Budějovice: http://www.nemcb.cz/practical-information/pharmacy/

Hospital of České Budějovice (Nemocnice České Budějovice) - entrance hall
B. Němcové 585/54
370 01 České Budějovice

Phone: +420 387 873 103

Opening hours: available 24/7

Support Centre for Students with Special Needs

Information on studying with disabilities or handicaps

Target groups

The centre provides services for:

  • Candidates with special needs
  • Students with special needs
  • Lecturers teaching students with special needs

Students with special needs

Students and candidates experiencing the following can benefit from the service offered by the centre:

  • visual impairment
  • hearing impairment
  • physical disabilities
  • specific learning disabilities
  • mental illness
  • chronic somatic diseases



The University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice
Support Centre for Students with Special Needs

Studentská 1824/27
(Student Club Kampa building)

phone.: +420 389 036 026
e-mail:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mgr. Zdeněk Toušek
(Head of the Support Centre)
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Personal consultations are possible upon appointment via phone or e-mail.

Safety & emergency

Emergency (police, medical & fire services)

  • 24/7 European Emergency phone number 112 (Integrated Rescue System = Firefighters, Police, Emergency Medical Services)
  • it facilitates emergency calls for foreigners and it can be used in case of a wide range of emergencies (traffic accidents, fires, floods, flash floods, serious health injuries, leaks of dangerous chemical substances, offences against the law etc.).
  • the number is to be used when there is an urgent need for intervention from the Police, Firefighters or Emergency Medical Services
  • operators speak Czech, English and German
  • the call is free of charge (you may use any type of a telephone and call from any place in the Czech Republic)
Student life

Campus life

You will not be bored at the University of South Bohemia, even after school

Student life is not just about spending time in the lecture hall or library. Become a mentor to foreign students, a radio reporter, a magazine editor, a theatre actor or a musician in the university orchestra in your spare time.

You can also stand for election in the Academic and Faculty Senates and become an active member of the University’s academic life.

Students, who are interested in university events, can join student organisations. 

Student organisations

ESN USB Budweis
Student Radio K2
Student union of the USB

Student events

  • Welcome semester party
  • Building a Maypole
  • Day with humanoids

Annual events

Freshers' Get-together "Seznamovák JU"

  • Advent Concert
  • University of South Bohemia Ball

Meals and the AL Café

The University of South Bohemia provides excellent meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), salads and snacks in the University Refectory, which is located on campus (Studentská 797), Faculty of Theology in the city centre (Kněžská 8) and the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences (J. Boreckého 27).

You can also have snacks and sandwiches in small canteens at faculties and at the Academic Library Café in the heart of the campus.

Map of the Campus
Welcome guide for international students

to our newsletter

Stay in touch
social media

Branišovská 1645/31a, 370 05 České Budějovice Tel.+420 389 032 191 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Branišovská 1645/31a, 370 05
České Budějovice
Tel.+420 389 032 191 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. www.jcu.cz

© 2021 University of South Bohemia

Dear visitors, we have just launched the new website of the University including all faculties, departments and constituent parts. You can still access the old version before you get used to the new website.