Health insurance

Students from EU countries

Students from EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are entitled to the provision of necessary and urgent health care free-of-charge.

It is necessary to have a  European Health Insurance Card.

It is highly recommended to have a supplementary travel health insurance. It should be arranged by the student before the student leaves the country of origin.

More information (for EU citizens). 

Students from non - EU countries

Based on international agreements, medical travel insurance is not required from citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cuba, Japan, Macedonia, Montenegro, Turkey, Serbia, and the United States of America. The same exception applies to participants of the Erasmus Mundus programme, Fulbright scholarship programme, European Voluntary Service of the EC Youth in Action programme. Foreign nationals who wish to take advantage of these benefits should follow these instructions.

All other foreign students who intend to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days are required to purchase comprehensive health insurance coverage. You will be asked to submit a proof of Czech health insurance when you apply for visa. The coverage limit is minimum EUR 60,000 and the insurance must be purchased for the entire period of stay. The insurance must be contracted with a provider specifically certified to provide such insurance on the Czech territory. It is recommended to consult the Czech Embassy or consulate and verify whether the insurance meets the requirements for an application for a visa or residence permit for stays longer than 90 days. There are several Czech insurance companies that provide the right type of insurance specifically designed for the needs of international students: SLAVIA, MAXIMA, UNIQA, VZP, ERGO

Travel medical insurance must cover the cost of emergency medical care, including medical evacuation or, in the event of death, repatriation of remains to the country that has issued the applicant´s travel document or to the applicant´s country of residence. The insurance policy must not exclude coverage for injuries and damage caused by the applicant´s intentional acts, injuries and damage caused by fault or contributory fault on the part of the applicant, and injuries and damage caused by the consumption of alcohol, narcotic and psychotropic substances by the applicant

You can try the Health insurance calculator to compare the different offers:

More information for non-EU citizens

You can buy the necessary insurance on-line if you click on the following links (Pojišťovna VZP):

Foreigners' Basic Medical Insurance online (in English)

Foreigners' Comprehensive Medical Insurance online (in English)